- The best vacuums are built to handle only hair, dust, and dirt. Anything else can damage the filter and clog the engine.
- More suction isn't always better. If suction is too strong, carpet gets pulled into the vacuum, creating a seal that dirt can't get past.
- Use your adjustable power settings whenever possible.
- Uprights tend to be better on carpets.
- Canister vacuums are lightweight, and they're almost as powerful as uprights.
- If you vacuum regularly or daily, you do not need a powerful suction vacuum cleaner.
- Replace (or clean) any vacuum filter. Write the date of replacement in your household journal. Source: S. Getzkin (March 21-23, 2014). Tips for Spring Cleaning. USA Weekend.
Source: B. Driscoll (April 2014). Esquire.