Skip to main content

The Value of a Piece of (White) Chalk

From the Editor
It's White History Month at the center.  The March family fun packet is now available on my official site.  As most of you know I have a very diverse center: all racial identities of unique households.  We must always remember that North America is a fairly young country compared to our global ancestors.

The NewMonday Show
I introduced the Book of Judges (Holy Bible) Available at sherleneonline.org 24/7

Let's talk The Value of a Piece of (White) Chalk
How many of you remember getting Christmas gifts that required add-on products?  I would often ask my White public school teachers for pieces of chalk. “Why do you want a piece of chalk?” (You would have thought I was asking for a piece of gold.) Back then, in my area, you couldn’t buy school chalk in a regular store.

            My mother had purchased a chalkboard toy chest for me, and it only came with a small box of chalk.  I would say, “If I am good today, will you give me a piece of chalk?” I remember the first time that I asked one teacher in particular. She wanted to know why I wanted it. My reply, “I want to write on my chalkboard that I have at home.” She just stared at me, and, then, at the end of the day, she gave me a shiny piece of white chalk. This particular teacher never gave me a whole stick, only broken pieces.  I also noticed that school chalk actually wrote better on my board than mine.

And when ever my teachers gave me a new chalk stick, or a colored chalk stick I would be so happy.  You couldn’t tell me that my make-believe students were not having class on that particular day. My pretend class would be made up of my real classmates. And what ever challenges they had on the given day (in real school), I’d reintroduce the lesson-or problem-to them. They eventually understood the lesson.