Skip to main content

Sherlene Stevens: Oprah Winfrey, Which Type of Woman Are You?

Dear Ms. Oprah:

I understand that you may be considering running for president in 2020. I would like to explain why it would take a lot for me to vote for a female presidential candidate (other than myself).

I am apologetic in saying, sincerely, that I rarely watched your TV show because I was too busy focusing on my ambitions. Over the years, however, I have watched your presentation as a role model for females in our country and globally. I do not know you personally, but our career paths have been a little similar. I have been the first to accomplish a lot, too.

For a rural-town girl of Maryland's Eastern Shore (my father is originally from the south), I was the first to complete a bachelor's degree in my immediate family (I wanted to become a public-school or community basic-school teacher.) In my younger years in elementary school, immediately after being in school all day, I would come home and line up my dolls (all races and genders, young and adult-age) and place them on the carpeted floor in my bedroom. I would teach them what I learned in class on the given day, using my chalkboard that was attached to my toy chest. I was the first to beg my white teacher to share her chalk with me. (My mother would only purchase chalk for me as a gift during the Christmas season.). So many productive firsts in my life would later be. ... The first to actually consider and loan-purchase a brand new automobile. Even today, very few women, in my maternal family, have owned a new vehicle. My first salary (a state government job, SHA) allowed me to earn more than my mother and my maternal grandmother--who worked for years on the job. Women who worked daily, full-time, at a brand company; nightly, at home, raising their own children. Overall, as a female teen, my ambitions of my family and with a state-oriented agency, 4-H and Youth Development, allowed me many opportunities and possibilities: I won many public-speaking contests, became a 4-H representative of my local county, and received many college scholarships.

There are also some firsts that I, unknowingly, challenged my home-town and neighboring female-citizen areas--involving social-community traditions. In many of my personal and career goals, I considered myself to have been abused and neglected by the lack of women unity campaigning for my productivity which would have been their productivity: Who goes to college? Who works in an office? Who doesn't work in healthcare or then the local factories? Who doesn't shuck oysters or gather crab meat to make a living? Who isn't a single woman with children? Who has children after marriage? In fact, who marries?  I did. As our income grew, I was able to do the untraditional of social activities of females.  Which type of woman are you, Ms. Oprah? Are you the kind that secretly persuades or steals another woman's husband? Just saying, this has been my experience with our gender kind. These are the traditions that I didn't research when exploring careers.

Next, after college, it was what parents don't send their (four) children to the local public-school system? to Headstart? Who says no to public-school and local officials (after desiring to someday become a teacher)?!

Do you know, even today, I am approached by school staff in such a manner that to me is very embarrassing ... you will force your kids to like public school ... and you will do this or that (Are we living in yesteryears AGAIN?) An example: I have tried to explain, many times, to adults, that you just don't take children away from their natural parents to fit a purpose or a cause of a few. You don't give a stay-at-home mom 15 minutes to leave her children. Female gender replies: "Now children and parents and family sets no emotions, okay? Just do it?"  As you were separated from your mother, you seem to truly understand that children have emotions and can think too.  I don't know if other teachers respond like this, but this is one public-school's teacher's response (January 2018) to my child's most recent attitude:
Good Afternoon,

My name is *****, I am ****’s Geometry Teacher. As I am sure you are aware, the students have had a tough time with teachers this semester.  Although I am officially the full time teacher, and have been since November, this seems have taken a toll on student behavior and academic performance.

I am having particular difficulty with your son, ****. His current grade is an E because he usually does not complete or turn in his work. Typically during class, he sits in the back with his headphones in, even though this is against school policy. Today, an administrator came to my room to discuss classroom behavior. During his visit, he told the students to put their phones away. Your son was in the bathroom for this encounter, however he was filled in upon his return. He took his phone back out anyway, and after politely he asking him to put it away, he refused and left his headphones in. This was a distinct sign of disrespect, which is a problem in my classroom already. If he has his phone out tomorrow, myself or an administrator will confiscate it. I just wanted you to be aware. 

Please have a conversation with him about appropriate classroom behavior and let me know if there is anything I can do to help him succeed. 

Thank you,
Ms. ****

In closing, "You ain't nobody until every household knows your name." Are you willing, Ms. Oprah, to proceed in officially running to be our next president? Are you willing to let everyone know your name and what you stand for as a female and citizen of this country?  I have learned that you are originally from the south and you are a true blue. A Democrat. I am a Republican (not too common in a mostly blue northern state, Maryland).  Yet, with the diversity of political views, I am willing to vote for you #Oprah2020. I believe that you can reflect the values and civil appreciations that our country deserves. I believe that your mission, your career profile, over the years, of helping women has improved home habits, nationally.  I believe that, with persuasion, from both genders,  you can be our first Madam President. Like so many other productive females who are whispering your name into the atmosphere right now, I, too, believe you can do it, dear female.