Skip to main content

Black History Month Tribute: Dear Master

A tribute to my parents: Well, this is the last week of this month’s holiday. I was hoping that my Master would tell both of you the truth. There is no shame in my history, and I do feel like leaping when I think back over the years: “I was taken away from my teaching mother; and, my (four) kids from their teaching mother.”

Dear Master

You have tried to take me out of your White land’s history:  Now, your public schools are failing and closing. Being mean to those who do good does come back to you you know. I didn’t know racism until I met you, Master. I want to thank you for showing how nasty and mean White people can be.

I’m sorry, but my parents never really talked about your racial identity with me.  My parents didn’t mention you, to even hate you, because they were too busy teaching me to love self, and to become the best at whatever I strived to do. They never taught me that you were a bully.  Yes, you are. They way that you scare the races is amazing! It’s almost like the wonders of how you placed my kids in your public schools, without me or my approval. You had the people thinking that I was supporting your views.  At the very least, Master, I thought you would tell the truth to your own (White) race.

I do thank you for allowing my parents (two high school graduates) to be taught in your public schools.  They improved your restricted education system by finding any books and materials they could when it came time to teach me. Sound familiar? My mother was bold. She would go into town to purchase White books for her Black child. She didn’t care what you thought, and, at times, would even give you her verbal point of view of your system. Her ways were not your ways, and you didn’t like that. Master, one thing that this Black child knows for sure is that not all people can do everything the same way all the time.

I wish that you would have taken the advice that was offered to you, then and now. Master you still ain’t going to tell the truth?! Well, so be it. Lord, have mercy on your soul.  May you find rest in Hell because that’s where you are going.  I am sure of that. So I rest in the comfort of knowing that God knows all about it.  Mommy and Daddy, I love you. Your first-born child understands now that you two were fooled by the niceness of the White folks. 

Sincerely,
Sherlene

Note: Interview taken from my first published book: The Script in My Box: A Journal of Forgiveness. (2012, August). Letter written February 23, 2013.