Skip to main content

The (Black) Family Meeting: I've Got Something to Tell You

This is a family discussion about college debt and higher learning participations. (Black History Month)
Discussion takes place after my published book, The Script in My Box: A Journal of Forgiveness

Sherlene: You didn’t understand, but it’s true! I was “right” in demanding to finish my college degree at DE State U, but as you know they wouldn’t allow me to.
Family: Well, you know that most of us weren’t able to complete college. So, we didn’t know how to help you. We told you to just find a job – any job, but you said…

Sherlene: (interrupts) I said that I really needed to finish up. I want to tell all of you something, today. What I didn’t tell you was that I had sponsors (government sponsors) that were helping me to fund the whole thing –my education and the center. They were going to help me get the resources to open the center (in Chestertown). I made a contract with them indicating that I would get my degree: and, then, open the center. Since it didn’t happen, they want their money back, from me or the institutions who were involved. The city of Chestertown replied that they never suggested that they needed or wanted such a center. (The grants are based on need.)  In fact, they don’t recall me ever being a real employee or working with the in-town youth.
Family: (interrupts) How much?

Sherlene: Huh?
Family: (in a stern voice) How much do you owe?

Sherlene: (Help me audience family:) Uh, over $75,000.
Family: What?!

Sherlene: Please don’t be angry. I’m trying to get this resolved. I just thought I should tell you.
Family: Sher#y, we told you to get a job, but you didn’t believe us. Now, I guess you will have to learn the hard way.

Sherlene: You don’t understand when I began college it was under grants and scholarship awards. I couldn’t just quit. It’s not my fault. I really wanted to open a center. I tried to tell you all, but either you refused to understand or you really didn’t understand. At least, I eventually received my degree (at another college).
Family: You know we don’t know anything about grants and all that mess.

Sherlene: You know about welfare. You know about that government help. Do you know what it is like to achieve in college with no one, from your own family, being thankful?
Family: See, there you go.

Sherlene: Yes, there I go. I was in school most of my life, and most of my distant cousins hardly even know me. Are you ashamed of me, this college girl?
Family: Okay, if you want to know the truth. Alright, we think that some of your ways are ways of White people. That’s right! We didn’t want our black children taken part in that mess. Getting their (youth) hopes up only to let them down, do you see now?

Sherlene: I am sure this will be worked out. We need to have a little faith. Since most of us are faith believers can we just pray about it.
Religious family members: As long as you don’t come to my church (or mosque) embarrassing me. (whispering)

Sherlene: Hey, I heard that. You were once United Methodist, too. You treat me as if I wasn’t brought up to know the Lord. I learned the same things as you. Or, is it my age that bothers you so much?
Religious family members: Shut up!

Sherlene: No, I won’t shut-up. You may be older than I am, but I love the Lord just like you.
Religious family members: You see this is the very reason why we don’t invite you to any family events.

Sherlene: And that reason is?
Family: Enough, just let it go (to the religious family members and me). Well, you told us what you needed to say, and we have already given you our advice.

Sherlene: Fine, and thank you.
(All walk out of the family meeting room.)