Skip to main content

Sherlene: The Reason Why I Am Changing My Political Party

Dear Fellow U.S. Citizen,

As a former 2016 presidential candidate (Write-In, Republican), I feel like my current values of helping others require me, begs me, to change my political-party stand from being a Republican to a Democrat.  

Republicans believe in freedoms that express that all citizens have the right to independently pursue their own financial status in their lifetime (work as hard or little as you want, give much or little as you want to your family-line generations), that all citizens should have the right to keep their hard-earned money and to not give a large percentage of it away to big dysfunctional governmental programs and welfare services via taxes, and lastly, that all citizens have the right to choose their political party, religious views, and to preserve the definition of the traditional family classification in our country.

President Trump has had a lifelong pursuit of being President. The reality is what he had set out to do has been achieved.  Now, will he have an opportunity for a second term, will families and individuals vote for him again in 2020, or will he be impeached? If such action by Congress occurs, it would require Americans who are a part of the Republican Party to vote for another presidential candidate. President Trump has accomplished many of the tasks discussed during his term 1 campaign.  There is no denying that he has served our country well.

Which brings me to my point of the discussion of my most recent political stand--

The political data, achievement measurements, and polls that I have reviewed have validated that President Trump has been an effective leader in the immediate concerns of families, individuals, and large businesses. What about our long-term challenges?

For the next presidential election,  I am changing my political-party stand because I want a president--like myself--who is going to specialize in taking a stand of fixing the decline of small-business entrepreneurship in local communities, of fixing the issues of repairing affordable housing settings across the board (if they are to remain a part of the national landlord list presented by HUD and local public housing authorities). I want a president who is willing to legally deregulate affordable housing, or to financially allocate money towards the decline of the social injustice that is provoked towards  our most vulnerable renters in this country. I want low-income renters to know that they are valued in communities too--if they are respectful to our elderly; if they obey laws of our government body; if they consider themselves to be an American by either working or volunteering consistently.  I want our next president to improve the bias of the identification of affordable housing tenants by informing the American people that there are more people who are financially eligible for such housing than ever before. 

Be mindful that today's families and individuals who are defined as affordable-housing tenants are not generational tenants of HUD housing programs. These citizens are people, people who either have lost good-paying jobs or were abruptly relocated to such housing-choice style due to extreme weather challenges within their given local communities. For example, communities who experience severe flooding issues, unsanitary building structure issues due to mold or toxic lead. Or even citizens who have had to boil their water on a daily basis just to be able to drink or bathe in it. These are Americans too. This is the reality of many of our people, many of our citizens, who were blessed to wake up this morning.

I want a president and administration that will offer adequate financial budget to repair our most vulnerable, local community roadways and highways and bridges.

I want a political leader, a president, who will value and take actions with me of the importance of knowledge in recycling and preservation efforts (extreme climates are real!).

I am becoming a Democrat, in addition, so that I can choose a Democratic Party presidential candidate who will specialize in finally creating laws on topics of giving more money to families and individuals to fulfill their specific financial needs and wants instead of to dysfunctional big businesses and government agencies/departments. 

I want people to have full-time jobs in other industries besides the health-care field and wasteful, temporary, government-program field jobs. I want to improve the federal budget of directing its money to state-based K-12 education systems so that learners will achieve in the knowledge of more independent thinking and getting back to the basics-- even if that means to exclude the more formal maths and languages. 

I want to vote for a presidential candidate that will specialize in creating laws that will be agreeable to considerations of both parties, to be long-standing laws within this country, of the immigration classification of the international people that come to live in North America, for democracy and jobs. I believe that the percentage of how many illegal citizens we accept into this country should be based on our economic stability: Laws that clearly state that when or if our economy drops to a dysfunctional economic level . . . then during such a historical event, we will only accept . . .  . I want to vote for a president and administration that will "clearly" write into law what specific types of welfare assistance such citizens will receive and for how long. 

Who am I? Could it be, could it really be that I am desiring too much of a presidential candidate and his/her administration? Could it be that I am merely trying to find someone like myself of what I would do if I were President? If this is the case, then I want more educated people and youth in this country. Americans. I want a presidential candidate and administration that will relieve the burden of student-loan debt of our scholars who have given and offered so much to their local communities and helping to make our country continue in its greatness.

Who am I--, or the question--Shall I be?

You have read now a blog post of one of your newest Democratic voters in this country. I am thankful that I live in a democracy where I have such liberties: Shall I be welcome? Shall my vote matter? Will I become like what I heard of within the Democratic Party of having group thinking (no longer thinking independently of what's best for me and my immediate family, of what's morally productive in my local communities)? Or will I be able to say that such political actions are just a myth/untruths of the values and actions of the voters of the Democratic Party? I realize that being a new member of any affiliation takes productive efforts of identifying and becoming your best in helping or serving. I hope to help in the Party in its continued discovery that it's okay to desire to be heard, to be listened to. It's okay to be separate in values, missions, and goals, yet being equal in the classification, in the definition of what it truly means to be an American. 

Sincerely Yours,
Sherlene Stevens, Newest Democratic voter
Citizen of Maryland, USA